New University Librarian
Virginia S. O'Herron has been appointed University Librarian at Old Dominion University. Ms. O'Herron joined the University in 1993 as assistant university librarian for information services, served as acting university librarian since 2002, and as associate university librarian since 2000. Prior positions included Director of the State University System of Florida Extension Library, and professional positions at Baker and Taylor Company and DeVry Technical Institute. She is member of the Library Administration and Management Association (LAMA) Leadership and Development Committee, chair of the Directors Committee of the Virginia Tidewater Consortium of Higher Education, and is a member of the VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) Steering Committee. She is active in the Association of College and Research Libraries, chairing the Standards and Accreditation Committee (1995-1998), the Distance Learning Section Strategic Planning Committee (1999-2001), and serving as a member of the Distance Learning Guidelines Committee (1994-1998). She is a visiting evaluator for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Ms. O'Herron has a Masters Degree in Business Administration from the University of Tampa, a Masters degree of Science in Library Science from Simmons College, and a Bachelor of Arts from Farleigh Dickinson University.
Lucille Leonard Garner died July 8, 2004, in Virginia Beach. Lucille was born in Houston, Texas in 1920, the daughter of Cam and Bernice Leonard. She had been a resident of Virginia Beach since 1958 when her husband, the late William H. Garner, was transferred as an executive with Texaco Inc. She retired as librarian emeritus from Old Dominion University after serving as a reference librarian for over 20 years. Lucille was a founding and lifetime member of the Old Dominion University Friends of the Library Association where she served as a board member. She was also a former member of the Virginia Library Association, the Southeastern Library Association and the Heritage Society.
Friends 10th Anniversary
The Friends of the Library at Old Dominion University will celebrate its 10th anniversary beginning in September. A year-long lecture series is planned to highlight research by ODU faculty. All events are free and open to the public.
- September: Annette Finley-Croswhite, associate professor of history, will offer a talk titled “Death on the Paris Metro: A nonfiction account of a 1937 murder mystery.” Perry Library room 151.
- November: Annual Fall Forum
- January 16: James On.ate and Bonnie Van Lunen will talk on their research into “Lower Extremity Injuries in Females and Youth Athletes.” 3 p.m. in the Athletics Administration building conference room.
- February 2, 6, and 16: Three Lectures at the Chrysler Museum featuring oceanographers Lisa Drake and Martina Doblin, mathematics professor John Adam and artist Rosa Doughty.
- March 20: David Metzger, director of the Institute for Jewish Studies and Interfaith Understanding will offer a talk on “Golems and the (Post) Modern Jewish Imagination.” 2 p.m. Perry Library room 151.
- April: Eleventh Annual Author Dinner
Become a Life Member
As part of the 10th Anniversary events, the Friends are undertaking a campaign for life members. Life memberships ($1,000) support the library endowment, which funds a variety of library initiatives and resources. Benefits of a life membership include:
- Library borrowing privileges of up to 50 books for four weeks
- University publications including Quest, the Spring and Fall Events Calendar, and an illustrated history of the library written by Jean Major
- A keepsake brass bookmark
- Discounted tickets to the Friends’ Annual Dinner
- Discounted tickets to university events
- Annual Tea with the University Librarian
- Dinner with the University President
- Recognition in the Friends Newsletter
- Special sale at the ODU Bookstore during National Library Week, with a 20% discount
- Internet training sessions and research consultations with the library’s reference and research staff.
For more information about becoming a Life Member, call Fern McDougal at 683-4141.
Charter Life Members
We would like to acknowledge the generosity of those Friends who chose Life Membership during its initial offering:
Ann B. Bohannon
Mary G. Commander
Dr. Anne Scott Daughtrey
Richard and Martha Early
Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey C. Flowers
Robert and Geraldine Fodrey
Ms. Edythe C. Harrison
Ray and Dolly Hinton
Henry Clay Hofheimer, II
Paul and Judith Homsher
President and Mrs. James V. Koch
Robert and Jean Major
Alf J. Mapp, Jr.
John and Cynthia McCraw
Mr. and Mrs. Arnold B. McKinnon
Mrs. B. R. Middleton
Dr. Raymond F. Morgan
Joseph Petro and Helen Yura-Petro
Dr. W. Maurice Pritchard
Anne B. Shumadine
Dr. and Mrs. J. Taylor Sims
Ira and Jean Steingold
Dr. and Mrs. William W. Swart
Dr. and Mrs. A. Rufus Tonelson
Dr. and Mrs. Harold Wilson
Louis and Minnie Fine
Lee and Helen Gifford
The Reverend Ellis O’Neal
Annual Book Sale
The Library’s Annual Used Book Sale is changing! Two book sales are planned for the 2004-2005 academic year. The first will be held in September, with the proceeds supporting the Library’s annual student worker recognition awards. The sale will be held from September 15-18, with a Friends-only preview on September 14th.
If you wish to donate materials for the September book sale, please bring them by September 10th to the Circulation Desk in the first floor lobby of Perry Library. Donations of books, high-end magazines (e.g., National Geographic, Smithsonian, Architectural Digest), DVDs, and LP or CD sound recordings are welcome.
If you would like to volunteer to assist with the book sale, contact Fern McDougal, Staff Liaison to the Friends, at 683-4141 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The second book sale will be held in March. Proceeds from this sale will help support the Friends of the Library scholarships. More details will be announced in the Fall newsletter.
Friends of the Library Board of Directors – 2004/05
Mary Lewis Ash Donna Bausch
Atsuko Biernot Ann Bohannon
Charles O. Burgess Mary Daniel
Anne Scott Daughtrey Gail Dingerson
Akiko Futami Paul Homsher
Christy Jaap Jean A. Major
Lisa Murray Virginia S. O’Herron
Usman Qureshi Sid Roberts
Lynda Self Cecilia Tucker
Derek Turrietta Pamela Zane
Board Executive Officers
Mary Daniel – President
Atsuko Biernot – Vice President
Ann Bohannon – Secretary
Virginia S. O’Herron – Treasurer
Paul Homsher – Member at Large
Membership: Jean A. Major
Programs: Charles O. Burgess & Paul Homsher
Publicity: Lisa Murray
Service: Mary Lewis Ash