Some Old Dominion University Founders

Several individuals were instrumental in bringing the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary to Norfolk. Among them are the following:

Click for larger view

J. A. C. Chandler

  • President of the College of William and Mary
  • Strong supporter of the Norfolk Division
  • Chandler Hall (now Constant Hall) was named in his honor.

Joseph Ewart Healy


Click for larger view

Click for larger view

A. H. Foreman

  • Chairman of the Noroflk School Board
  • Member pof the Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary
  • Foreman Field was named in his honor.

Robert Morton Hughes

  • Member of the Board of Visitors of William and Mary (1893-1917)
  • Suggested the need for a two-year branch of the College of William and Mary in Norfolk
  • Hughes Library (now Perry Library) and Hughes Hall were named in his honor.
  • The Old Dominion University Library's Special Collections houses The Papers of Robert Morton Hughes
Click for larger view
   

Early Administrators and Faculty

Click for larger view

Click for larger view
Click for larger view

H. Edgar Timmerman

First director of the Norfolk Division, 1930-1932

Edward Gwathmey

Second director of the Norfolk Division, 1932

William T. Hodges

Director, 1933-1941

 

   
Click for larger view
Click for larger view
Click for larger view

Perry Y. Jackson

W. Gerald Akers

Thomas L. Scott

  • Director of Athletics, 1930-1940
 

Click on images to see larger view.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TOP of page

This site designed for 1024x768 screen resolution

© 2000 -  Old Dominion University
This page was modified on